Board of Directors Meeting
January 9, 2006
CALL TO ORDER:† President John Killian called the meeting to order at 6:12 pm.† Members present were:† John Killian, Arnie Maddox, Carol Murakoshi, Donna Wenberg, Merlin Hansen,† Frank Bartlett, Morris Lorber, Irma Johnson, Rosemary Ford, Marshall Pelle, Jan Wagner,† and Frank Seipp.† Absentees included:† Steve Sulzby,† and Bette Willner.† Excused:† Barbara Balowitz.
MINUTES:† †There was a correction to the minutes of the December 5, 2005 meeting.† Under Adjournment: The next meeting scheduled was January 9, 2006 rather than the Installation Dinner.† Arnie Maddox moved to accept the corrected minutes and Marshall Pelle seconded.† Motion carried.
TREASURERíS REPORT:† ††Donna Wenberg reported that the current total assets as of December 31, 2005 was $7,821.13 that reflected a positive change of† $341.74 from last year at this time.† The† amount for the year donated to the Womenís Shelter of Long Beach totaled:† $2,655.75.†† Merlin Hansen moved and Frank Bartlett seconded to accept the Treasurerís report.† Motion carried.
HOSPITALITY/CHARITY:† $12.15 was collected from both boxes.† Barbara Balowitz will resume her duties and will send Get Well cards to: Betty McClellan, Beryl Henry, and Betty Cash.†
SCHOLARSHIP:† †Donna Wenberg reported that a check of $750.00 was sent to ALACBU† to cover all of the Scholarship Donations from Unit 557 for 2006.
SANCTIONS, AWARDS, EDUCATION, PUBLICITY & REFRESHMENTS:† No reports.
MEMBERSHIP REPORT:† Irma Johnson reported the latest In & Out stats from ACBL for the period 11/30/05† through 1/1/06 .
††††††††††††††††††††††† Total members:††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 477
††††††††††††††††††††††† Members receiving Bulletin†††††††††††† 418
††††††††††††††††††††††† Rookie††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 37
††††††††††††††††††††††† Junior† Master††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 43
††††††††††††††††††††††† Club Master†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 48
††††††††††††††††††††††† Sectional Master†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 80
††††††††††††††††††††††† Regional Master††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 70
††††††††††††††††††††††† NABC Master††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 37
††††††††††††††††††††††† Life Master†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 28
††††††††††††††††††††††† Bronze Life Master†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 64
††††††††††††††††††††††† Silver Life Master††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 52
††††††††††††††††††††††† Gold Life Master†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 15
††††††††††††††††††††††† Diamond Life Master††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ††† 3
††††††††††††††††††††††† Emerald, Platinum, Grand Life Master†††††† ††† 0
There were two new members and one transfer in, to whom Irma will send welcoming letters.† There were no relevant changes of status this period.
††††††††††† Irma also reported the annual QUIP Report for† 2005:† It indicated that:
1) Our number of active members is dropping and is the worst in the district.
2) Our number of new members recruited is dropping but is third highest in the district.
3) Our number of members lost is worst in the district.
4) The percentage of new members who we retained in 2005 is second highest in the district.
5) The average age of our members is the highest in the district.
6) The number of years that our average member has belonged to the ACBL is 19.33, which is considerably lower than other units in the district.
NEW BUSINESS:† †
1) Merlin Hansen moved and Irma Johnson seconded that we order heart shaped pins from the ACBL catalog for our newlyweds:† Skip Genebach and Emma Trepinsky. Motion carried†
2) Arnie Maddox moved and Irma Johnson seconded that we also order a Past President Pin for Merlin Hansen.† Motion carried.
††††††††††† †3) John Killian appointed the following board members to chair the ††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† ††††††committees for 2006.† They are:†† †††††††††††
††††††††††† * Barbara Balowitz††††††††††††††† Hospitality Chair, Charity Co-Chair
††††††††††† *† Frank Bartlett†††††††††††††††††††† ALACBU Council Rep , Disciplinary Chair,
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Charity Co-Chair, Sectional Co-Chair
††††††††††† *† Rosemary Ford††††††††††††††††† Publicity Chair†
††††††††††† *† Irma Johnson††††††††††††††††††††† Membership Chair, Unit Coordinator,
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† ACBL Electronic Contact
††††††††††† *† Morris Lorber†††††††††††††††††††† Awards Chair Ė 2006
††††††††††† *† Arnie Maddox††††††††††††††††††† ALACBU Council Rep
††††††††††† *† Marshall Pelle††††††††††††††††††† Education Chair
††††††††††† *† Steve Sulzby††††††††††††††††††††† IN Coordinator
††††††††††† *† Jan Wagner††††††††††††††††††††††† Awards Chair Ė 2007, ALACBU Rep (altern.)
4) Frank Bartlett moved and Jan Wagner seconded that our unit subsidize an additional dollar per player for a Sunday game in February.† Irma has scheduled the game for February 19th at 1:30 pm.† An extra dollar will be charged and the proceeds will be donated to the ACBL Junior Fund.† The unit will pay the extra dollar per player. Extra points will be given at this game.††† Motion carried
5) Donna Wenberg moved and Jan Wagner seconded to raise our Unit Game fees to $8.00 to match the Bridge Centerís raise effective† at the January 15th Unit Game.† Motion carried.†
Installation Dinner will be held at the Reef Restaurant in
ADJOURNMENT:†† Arnie Maddox moved and Jan Wagner seconded to adjourn the meeting.† Motion carried.† The next meeting will be on Monday, February 13, 2006 at 6:15 pm.†